A day in London with my baby

London can be a scary place for some people many will avoid going all together due to fear of the unknown, anxiety or stress. There is so much to see and do and the markets are just incredible for finding quirky, funky items.

Yesterday the Bubba and I had spent the night before at my uncle’s house down in Kent. They moved there and we were visiting for the first time. It’s so close the the Channel tunnel it made me wonder why I’d never been before so that has now been added to the list of things to do this year. It’s only a 2 hour drive away. I also live 45 minutes away from Harwich and don’t take advantage of that either it’s just a ferry ride to Amsterdam. It’s time to live differently, time to explore the country I live in and the connections to Europe. Yesterday’s trip to London showed me that it’s never as bad as you think it will be and that I can carry the Bubba for longer than I thought.

Yesterday I woke up in Kent and the baby stayed asleep the room we were staying in had an ensuite shower room. Amazing! I’m clearly slumming it at home with one teenie tiny bathroom. The ensuite is the key to getting ready without disturbing your baby I was alone with no audience I washed, got dressed, did my make-up and hair and even had Breakfast you know that mythical meal people seem to eat in the morning. I ate that! It felt good to get ready in the morning uninterrupted. The night before I packed a small bag ready for London. I didn’t want to take the changing bag I wanted to be as streamlined as possible so it was easier to get about the crowds. I packed 5 nappies, a packet of wipes, 2 pouches of food, a bottle of water, changing mat, a spare out for Hendrix and my make up.

After feeding the baby and getting him ready for the day I loaded up the car and we went on our way to Newbury park. The plan was to park there then get the tube to Liverpool street. When we got there the car park was closed and the little one round the back was full so I parked up the road in a residential area after calling my friend Lisa who has lived in London if I can park on a single yellow line. I strapped the carrier on under my coat and put the Bubba in and put his ear defenders on to muffle the screeching sound of the tube (which can be horrific), put my bag on my back and we were on our way.

The tube wasn’t that bad and it was full but not packed which was a bonus we managed to get a seat but soon after the Bubba started to scream and cry. I sang to him which helped eventually. The other people on the tube were empathetic instead of judgemental looks and whispers I received understanding smiles. This helped as it allowed me to focus on my Bubba more positively rather than get angry at others.

We got off the tube at Liverpool street then walked to Brick Lane to meet the photographers Agetha and Robbie for the Breastfeeding photo shoot. I was very much out of my comfort zone but did it anyway Agetha and Robbie were great they were easy to talk to and made me very comfortable with the situation. The weird part was having random people staring at me and taking pictures of us but I focused on what we were doing and it was really empowering. I know that word gets banned about quite a bit but this really was. I will write another post about the shoot and what it is for in a few weeks time.

After the shoot the Bubba and I went exploring Brick lane and the surrounding area. There was so much I saw that I wanted to buy but the Kimono I saw the week before was no longer there which was a shame.

People love a baby, he made so many people smile that day. While we were exploring we encountered a group of people on a graffiti tour which was something on my list of things to do. It’s nice seei g the art on the street it’s another to have it explained and learning a bit about the artist. We will definitely be back to do a street art tour.

After trying to find somewhere to feed and change the baby I gave up and went to Liverpool street station as the baby was crying and it was so hard to think when the baby cries. I ended up changing his nappy on the floor of the toilet on a changing mat I brought with us. Next time I will be more prepared and research places with changing areas. I fed him in the main station area in the seats provided, I’ve never cleared an area so quickly with the sight of a boob haha. I ended up on a row of seats by myself which was fine with me. I did notice a few things while feeding in public, there was a man with a British accent about to sit down near me he bum was nearly in the seat when he looked over saw what I was doing and quickly stood up and walked away to sit in a completely different seating area. This was amusing to me and I’d rather him move than be uncomfortable. The people that sit next to me were Dutch, Spanish and something else. Why are the British so disapproving? So awkward? So judgemental? Why are the British not more inclusive? Nurturing? And supportive? To be honest when I feed in public I make the conscious decision not to look at others around me because I don’t want any negativity to ruin my day but because of the nature of the shoot we’d done that day I wanted to see how London reacts to a public breastfeeding. Again this was another empowering moment and I would definitely encourage others to do the same, push that comfort zone and you really find out what you’re capable of.

This trip has made me feel like me again, wearing nice clothes and make-up, talking to people I dont know, exploring somewhere I’m not familar with. It has inspired me to do more trips with the Bubba in the future. Let the Mumma and Bubba adventures begin.

One thought on “A day in London with my baby

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s